Licensing and Compliance Officer
Reporting to the President and CEO and/or Vice President of Finance (hereafter, the “VP, Finance”), the Licensing and Compliance Officer is accountable for reviewing, updating, implementing and creating internal policies and procedures to ensure that the organization is compliant with legislative policies and by-laws.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual Trust and Financial Statement Audits for reporting to Real Estate Council of Alberta (RECA), Manitoba Securities Commissions (MSC) and Financial Services Commissions of Ontario (FSCO);
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and provincial legal and reporting requirements by following new and existing legislation
- Anticipate future legislation and provide recommendations for required process changes to comply with the anticipated changes to the VP, Finance and CEO.
- Ensure compliance with all tax, GST/HST and payroll filings.
- Ensure compliance plans are consistent with organizational goals, internal policy and procedure manuals and update accordingly
- Monitor compliance with debt covenants, if any.
- Interface with outside audit firms(s), banks and lessors, and casualty/liability insurance agent(s).
- Assessment and reporting of non-compliance according to the different internal and external policies and procedures ICI is required to adhere by
- Provide compliance education where needed.
- Process new license applications as required for all jurisdictions.
- Update and maintain licensing documentations, files, spreadsheets, and all licensees.
- Complete license renewals
- Prepare all the Annual Information Return’s for all jurisdictions as needed (see Compliance section for further detail).
- Keep up to date with all licensing requirements and regulatory changes
- Roll out training for any regulatory or licensing updates as needed
- Ensure all employees are properly licensed in the provinces they are arranging mortgages for
- Ensure E&O, Office insurance, Property & Equipment insurance, Mortgage Impairment insurance, Bond insurance and Term Insurance is reviewed and renewed successfully each year
- Ensure the Company and associated personnel have the adequate coverage in place.
- Ensure all borrowers have adequate coverage in place
- 1 to 3 years of experience in compliance and governance; related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business, Law or related field
- Auditing or CPA designation is an asset
- Proven experience and highly skilled at analyzing, interpreting and implementing general policies, technical procedures, legislative policies and by-law
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
- Adaptable to change and able to juggle multiple priorities: exceptional organizational skills
- Must be able to work collaboratively and professionally with the President/CEO and other senior managers.
- Self-starter, self-motivated and independent
- Can work with little direct supervision
- Problem solver who easily learns systems and processes
- Professional and friendly demeanor but are comfortable asking and addressing hard questions
- Task orientated planner and decision maker, who understands that the small details matter
- Understand the importance of records management
- Must become licensed under RECA, FSRA, MSC and any other licensing body required.
|Edmonton, AB||Bachelor’s Degree (Preferred)||Compliance and governance: 2 years (Preferred)||Auditing or CPA designation (Preferred)|