About Canada ICI
Canada ICI was founded in Edmonton over 25 years ago, with the vision of becoming Canada’s leading commercial real estate financing firm. Since day one, our goal has remained the same. We pursue market-leading outcomes for Borrowers and Investors through a range of real estate debt solutions across the risk-return spectrum. A trusted partner in Canadian commercial real estate, we create long-term alignment with borrowers and mortgage investors to provide accretive results under one roof. As an integrated platform, Canada ICI is uniquely positioned to bring top-quality commercial mortgage opportunities to borrowers and lenders across Canada.
Why work with us?
Working at Canada ICI gives you the opportunity to positively impact your community. We’re constantly adding to our team of talented, hardworking individuals who are passionate about redefining commercial real estate in Canada. Our company includes a dynamic team of talented financial analysts immersed in the transactions that drive our markets. Our environment is fast-paced, innovative, progressive and highly collaborative.
With six offices across the country, not only are we passionate about building Canada’s real estate future, we’re passionate about developing leaders. Our company operates on three core business principles: expertise, acumen, and integrity. These principles drive our company culture and our service-centric approach to business.
We currently have a full-time, permanent position for a:
Reporting to the Director of Mortgage Underwriting, you will work with the Mortgage Origination team to underwrite and analyze commercial mortgage investments and assist in facilitating the funding and ongoing management of the loan.
This is a position that works in a team-based environment focusing on delivering high-quality market analysis and financial reporting. This position will expose the analyst to a wide variety of commercial real estate transactions and provide an industry-leading exposure to commercial real estate underwriting fundaments.
- Work with our mortgage professionals to underwrite and analyze commercial mortgage investments.
- Evaluate the quality of the mortgage investment through analysis of operating statements, rent rolls, financial statements, market data, third-party engineering reports, and appraisals.
- Preparation of proformas, cash flow models, and project specific underwriting.
- Obtain and share market data to the entire origination group (market reports from brokerages, CMHC Data, Cost Consultants reports etc.).
- Maintain database of market data (ie. comparables for lease rates, vacancy rates, construction costs, etc.) and share with origination group.
- Review and summarize all third-party reports (appraisals, BCA’s, Environmental, etc.).
- Organize and manage all project-related documentation, information, and folders.
- Assist the Mortgage Origination team in structuring mortgage opportunities based on the investment criteria of over 100 sources of mortgage capital available to Canada ICI.
- Completion of an institutional quality Mortgage Investment Brochure.
- Preparation of commitment letters for review by the Mortgage Origination team, Lender and the Lender’s solicitor.
- Working with the Mortgage Origination team to manage and coordinate the funding process.
- Liaising between Borrowers and Lenders to process the closing of the deal.
- Ensure all written and electronic documentation meets compliance requirements while maintaining highly organized and current data files for all client sales folders.
- Establish relationships with third-party report providers (appraisers, engineers, cost consultants).
Education and Skills
- Bachelor of Commerce Degree (Major in Finance, Economics or Math); or MBA.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in the Commercial Real Estate Industry is required.
- Strong understanding of basic finance modeling, including rates of return, IRR, NPV, and cash flow modeling.
- Excellent financial analysis research and underwriting skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Clear understanding of cash flow statements, preparation and analysis.
- High attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Expert knowledge in Excel required to include formulas, pivot tables, charting, etc.
- Past teamwork and team player focus and experience required.
- Knowledge of Real Estate or Finance Industry an asset.
- Adobe InDesign software experience is valuable but not necessary.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.